Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Back in Business

After my ice climbing adventure, I returned to my swimming mission with a little more conviction. My experience with the cold in Ouray made the short walk to the pool in Provo seem bearable. When I was actually climbing in Box Canyon I wasn't aware of the cold, but the rest of the time I was frozen in place as I belayed. My fingers were curled around the rope, my neck was tilted back wtih my gaze fixed upon the climber, and my feet were rooted to the ground. I tried to wiggle my appendages or hop up and down to keep the blood flowing, but it was a lost cause. Even if I did get the blood to flow, the stinging pain that came with the warmth reverted me back to beam-pole-position. I surrendered to the cold.
Although Provo has been just as cold as Ouray this past week, the ten minute walk to the pool was menial compared to the four consecutive hours I spent in Box Canyon. And, I'd be briskly walking during those chilly ten minutes. My appendages wouldn't even have time to succumb to the cold and go numb.
The day past, and before I knew it I was setting the alarm on my cellphone to 5:38 a.m. once again. I had two ideas to trick my body into getting out of bed in the morning. 
  • Idea #1: Set my cellphone out of reach. 
This was an old trick I used when I swam in high school. I would place my phone on my dresser which forced me to jump out of bed before I realized what I was doing. I could've just crawled back into bed, but I never did. There was no point when I was already committed to going to the pool and out of bed. I hoped this method would work once again. This time I placed my cellphone on top of my clothes hamper at the foot of my bed.
  • Idea #2: Preheat the clothes that I'll be walking to the pool in by sleeping in them. 
My apartment is apparently the same temperature as the outdoors and keeps everything cold. My roommate and I have woken up to ice lining our bedroom window on several occasions. Sleeping in extra clothes will allow me to stay warm and not have to put on chilly clothes in the morning. After debating whether I should sleep in my swim suit as well, I came to the conclusion that was a little excessive. I could just change into my swim suit once I made it to the pool. Two pairs of sweats, two pairs of socks, a T-shirt, a hoodie and gloves would be enough to keep me warm when I left the comfort of my covers. 
. . .
5:38
"Luau! If you're hungry for hunk of fat and juicy meat,
Eat my buddie Pumbaa here cuz he is a treat-"

My hands frantically searched for my cellphone on the desk next to me with no avail. I looked around for the little light shinning from the cellphone screen and remembered I had placed it on my clothes hamper. I peaked over my covers and sure enough, there it was glowing and singing The Lion King. Next thing I knew, the covers were off and I was standing over the hamper as my thumbs  scrambled to silence Pumbaa and Timon.

Silence. I glanced around my room letting my eyes adjust to the darkness. My roommate rolled over as she dozed back into sleep. There was a slight chill in the air, but my clothes kept me warm. My ideas succeeded. I was out of bed! I smiled to myself as I picked up my TYR swim bag and slipped out my bedroom door.

Yoplait yogurt or a banana have been my pre-workout snack for years now. They're not too heavy and they give me enough sustenance to swim without getting sick. I've tried those pre-workout protein shakes, but I can't stomach them when I swim. When my workouts start getting longer and more intense I'll use Gu Energy Gel during practices but fruit, yogurt and water work for now. I gobbled down a Yoplait Light Red Raspberry, put on my boots, and squeezed into my coat (it fit a little tighter with all the layers on underneath).

Despite the chilly walk, I was thrilled to be at the pool. Some people claim they aren't athletic, but I think they just haven't found their sport yet. They just need to find what excites them. For me, it's swimming. Every time I swim my senses go through a rush. The smell of the chlorine, the sight of the blue water, the feeling of the water enveloping my body, the sound of the echoing pool deck, and the taste of the challenge all contribute to my passion for swimming. Getting back into swimming wasn't going to be easy, but I was loving the journey. The cold was the first obstacle I encountered, but it didn't stop me.

The next obstacle came when I started swimming laps. My freestyle didn't quite feel right...and I wasn't moving as easily or as quickly as I use to. I remembered the technique my coaches had drilled into me over the years, but apparently I had lost some muscle memory since. It was difficult realizing how much slower I had gotten during the past 18 months, but I needed to start somewhere. I quickly formulated a drill series and got right to work.

4200 yards and 90 minutes later I realized that my body didn't have the endurance it use to either. I heaved myself out of the water and felt tension in the muscles I hadn't used for a very long time. I was going to be sore. The thought excited me. Being sore always meant I had survived a difficult practice. Even though I had a lot of improvements to make, I was back in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment